Some of the names in this incident were initially reported by several sources under incident number CS1429a (Amjad Ahmed Taha Al-Suwairi, Mohammed Ayman Sweiri and Ahmad Taha Al-Omar Al Suweiri). During investigations of this event for the April 2019 joint Airwars and Amnesty report War in Raqqa: Rethoric versus Reality (www.raqqa.amnesty.org), Amnesty field researchers were able to identify the location (near Baladi Stadium) of the strike in which 18 members of the Sueri family were killed.
The joint Amnesty/Airwars report War in Raqqa: Rethoric versus Reality notes: Seven members of the Al-Sueri family were killed when the building they were sheltering in was hit by an air strike. Eleven other people were also killed in the same strike but have not been named. A relative of the Al-Sueri family, a woman named Amal, spoke to Amnesty researchers: “Many other neighbours were killed in the same strike, including some wives and children of Daesh fighters. Our relatives stayed in the building because there was a water well nearby.”
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (8)
- Ayman Steif Sueri 39 years old male interviewee's cousin killed
- Fatima 30 years old female Ayman's wife killed
- Khadija Steif Sueri 11 years old female Ayman and Fatima's daughter killed
- Mohamed Steif Sueri 9 years old male Ayman and Fatima's son killed
- Yassir Steif Sueri 7 years old male Ayman and Fatima's son killed
- Ali Steif Sueri 5 years old male Ayman and Fatima's son killed
- Hussein Steif Sueri 3 years old male Ayman and Fatima's son killed
- Fadiah Steif Sueri 1 years old female Ayman and Fatima's daughter killed
Sources (12) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
May 31, 2018
The report contains insufficient information of the time, location and details to assess its credibility.
Original strike reports
For August 29th – 30th the Coalition reported “Near Raqqah, 46 strikes engaged 30 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 66 fighting positions, five heavy machine guns, five vehicles, three medium machine guns, three anti-air systems, three ISIS communications lines, two command and control nodes, an ISIS headquarters, a weapons cache, an ISIS staging area, a VBIED, damaged eight fighting positions and suppressed two heavy machine guns.” It was additionally reported that “On Aug. 29, near Raqqah, Syria, 16 strikes engaged nine ISIS tactical units and destroyed nine fighting positions, a VBIED, a heavy machine gun, and a command and control node.”