At least nine civilians, among which between three and six children, were reportedly killed in alleged Russian airstrikes on the town of Kafar Nuran, Aleppo governorate, on January 21st, 2020, according to local sources. Between 14 and 42 civilians, including women and children, were reported wounded.
The Syrian Civil Defence initially put the death toll at two killed civilians, but later updated that to eight, including women and children. The SCD Aleppo reported that they were working on removing bodies and injured from underneath the rubble and extinguishing fires.
Macro Media Center stated that there were “nine martyrs, including six children, as a result of Russian warplanes targeting the town of Kafar Nuran in the western countryside of Aleppo”.
The Local Coordination Committees of Syria reported that the bombing occured around 4:35 PM local time. They published the names of nine killed civilians, among which the names of at least two children. A third child was not identified. They reported 14 injured civilians, of which they published the names of ten, among which at least seven children. Shabha Press reported ‘dozens of injured’.
Step News reported that there were “three airstrikes that resulted in the death of eight people, including women and children, while the toll is likely to rise after the completion of the lifting of rubble, carried out by Civil Defence teams”.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights wrote that “residential buildings and gatherings of displaced people” were deliberately bombed. They reported seven civilian casualties, including three children, all members of displaced families from Idlib countryside. They also reported 42 injured civilians and that some of them were in critical condition. They further wrote that “the raids also caused extensive destruction and fires in fuel-selling centers”.
A day after the incident, Edlib Media Center reported that the death toll had increased to ten civilians.
The incident occured at 4:35 am local time.
The victims were named as:
Family members (8)
- Nasr al-Hassan 45 years old male killed
- Sidra Bilal Al-Hassan 6 years old male killed
- Ahmed Bilal Al-Hassan 9 years old male killed
- Fatima Al-Hassan 8 years old female injured
- Bilal Al-Hassan Age unknown male injured
- Mohamed Al-Hassan 4 years old male injured
- Hamada Al-Hassan Age unknown male injured
- Sham Al-Hassan 9 years old male injured
Family members (3)
- Hassan Al-Qusair Age unknown male killed
- Alia Al-Quseir 40 years old female killed
- Ahlam Hassan Al-Qusair 20 years old female
Family members (8)
- Dureid Haj Ibrahim 4 years old male injured
- Safaa Haj Ibrahim 10 years old female injured
- Hassan Waheed 55 years old male killed
- Muhammad Al-Abdo 25 years old male killed
- Mohammad Omar Bakour Yahya 25 years old male killed
- Walid Yahya Bakkour Age unknown male injured
- Abdel-Razzaq Barakat 60 years old male injured
- Abdul Ghani Karra Muhammad 7 years old male injured