Up to 19 civilians were allegedly killed by a NATO airstrike on Bani Walid.
Riyad Jaber said: “The martyr Salah Saad Barnous was martyred on the 29th of Ramadan by the NATO bombing.”
Mustafa Al Fitouri wrote in his book: “On the night of 29th-30th August Salah Sa’ed Barnous 23 years old, an university student and the only son to his mother, was killed while an airstrike targeted a building near a military building inside a residential neighborhood.”
He added: “The fifth airstrike targeted Bani Wali 180 km southwest of Tripoli – before midnight on August 29th 2011 hitting a site called Al Qate in the midtown killed 19.
Al Qate’ is a military site according two witness testimonies collected by the Libyan organisation for Human rights bin Wali branch – the site was empty during the first airstrike and the people gathered to help and all the killed are civilians.”
NATO on that day declared striking “2 Command and Control Node, 1 Military Ammo Storage Facility” near Bani Walid.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
- Salah Saad Barnous 23 years old male killed
- Muhammad Al-Fitouri Hassan 15 years old male killed
- Sharaf al-Din Taher Muhammad 16 years old male killed
- Abdel Hamid Belkacem Al Mahdi 20 years old male killed
- Mustafa Ibrahim Faraj 23 years old male killed
- Gaddafi Moftah Abdul Salam 15 years old male killed
- Saad Abdullah Muhammad 11 years old male killed
- Hassan Mohamed Faraj 18 years old male killed
- Fathi Abdel Qader Bashir 23 years old male killed
- Essam Saleh Muhammad 21 years old male killed
- Hussein Ahmed Miftah 21 years old male killed
- Ahmed Ibrahim Mohamed 34 years old male killed
- Osama Saeed Imal 22 years old male killed
- Ramadan Abed Ahadi Abdullah 40 years old male killed
- Hussein Abdullah Sultan 40 years old male killed
- Saad Abdullah Muhammad Age unknown male killed
- Ali Al-Osta ِAhdada Age unknown male killed
- Ayman Dhawal-Shandouli 18 years old male Born 1989 killed
- Abdul Karim Sam Abdul Karim Age unknown killed
Sources (25) [ collapse]
Reports of the incident mention a residential building being struck in the vicinity of a military camp within the town of Bani Walid (بني وليد). Due to limited satellite imagery and information available to Airwars, we were unable to verify the location further. The generic coordinates for Bani Walid are: 31.771461, 14.047162.
NATO forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
In the vicinity of Bani Walid: 2 Command and Control Node, 1 Military Ammo Storage Facility.