Up to seven civilians including at least one child and one woman died and up to 14 others were wounded in an alleged YPG shelling of the al Bayan IDP camp on the Turkish-Syrian border, according to local media. Most sources blamed the YPG, though one source – a Kurdish media agency – alleged that Turkey was responsible.
Step News Agency said that three civilians died and 14 were wounded as a result of YPG artillery shelling. Orient added that a woman was also killed, along with seven others who were injured.
According to Geroun, “a 10-year-old girl was killed and 10 others wounded, including three children, in an artillery attack on the Etma refugee camp in northern Syria on the Syrian border with Turkey”.
Al Latamna Youth Group also named Sidra Hussein as a victim, and named the wounded.
The source also published a graphic video in which a man, holding body parts of children, explains what happened. Here is the rough transcript of the video:
Man: “These are kids. Families that have been displaced from their homes. They left everything behind them so they can take refuge.”
Voice off camera asks: “How many people were killed here?”
Man: “No less than 6/7 people were killed.”
Voice off camera: “And the amputees?”
Man: “These we haven’t even counted. Some people lost their legs. There are a lot of injuries. This is a camp no one else is here.”
Voice off camera: “Was it one shell or more?”
Man: “There were several, one after the other.”
However, ANHA, the Kurdish news agency, denied that the YPGH was responsible and blamed Turkey for the attack. It reported: “One of the missiles fired by Turkey against the civilians of Afrin fell on the camp of Atma for the displaced, resulting in the injury of a number of residents injured, while the Turkish state claimed that the source of the missiles are the People Protection Units (YPG).”
The local time of the incident is unknown.
- Sidra Hussein. 8 years old female some sources say she was 10 killed
- Khaled Zino 50 50 years old male Shoulder and forearm injury, Displaced to al-Bayan camp injured
- Dallah Al-Abdullah 18 years old female Injury to the abdomen and chest, Displaced to Atmat camp injured
- Fatima Walid Haj Abdullah Age unknown female Head, forearm and chest injury, Displaced to al-Jazeera camp injured
- Mariam Sakr Al – Jasem 3 years old female Shrapnel in the abdomen, Displaced to al-Montasser camp injured
- Abeed Al-Hamoud 4 years old male Head and back injury, Displaced from al-Raqqa to Atma camp injured
- Jawaher al Salloum 45 years old female Injury to the chest, back and feet, Displaced from Raqqa to Atma camp injured
- Khalil Hussein 36 years old male father of the deceased, Shoulder and back injury Displaced from al-Raqqa to Atma camp’ injured