The Coalition announced in December 2016 it was conducting an assessment of a possible civilian casualty event: Currently, three reports received in October are still being assessed… Oct. 22, 2016, near Qaraqosh and Hasana, Iraq.
On January 2nd 2017 a new Coalition report noted: No Coalition strikes were conducted on structures in the geographic area that correspond to the report of civilian casualties. A senior Coalition official later told Airwars that the allegation had been “Based on Russian social media and Russian MinDef accusations.
However local reporting at the time said that Coalition airstrikes were conducted at Qaraqosh in support of ISF ground operations.
Given reported British actions in the area that day, Airwars flagged the incident to the UK’s MoD which said we can confirm that there was no UK involvement in the event. However given that RAF strikes were reported in Qaraqosh, Airwars has requested further clarification.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (5) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jan 2, 2017
No Coalition strikes were conducted on structures in the geographic area that correspond to the report of civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For October 22nd 2016, the Coalition reported at the time that “Near Kisik, one strike damaged an ISIL tunnel. Near Mosul, four strikes engaged five ISIL tactical units, 12 staging areas, six mortar systems, a rocket position and a heavy machine gun; destroyed 21 fighting positions, 10 mortar systems, eight vehicles, eight command and control nodes, seven ISIL-held buildings, five bunkers, four anti-aircraft guns, four artillery systems, three tunnels, three VBIEDs, two supply caches, two heavy machine guns, a VBIED facility and a front end loader; and damaged three VBIEDs, two tunnels, a fighting position, a repeater tower and a vehicle.”