Eight to eleven civilians – including five children and 8 members of the same family – were killed by Coalition strikes in Mosul, according to local sources.
According to Iraqi Spring, eight civilians from one family, including four children and two women were killed in Coalition airstrikes in the Al-Falah neighbourhood of eastern Mosul.
Several outlets, including Nineveh Media Center, identified 12 victims by names.
The Los Angeles Times interviewed the strike’s sole survivors: Mohammed Mumtaz, 30, and his 8-year-old son, Yaman. Mumtaz said he was not contacted by the coalition, and did not expect compensation. Nothing can compensate for my loss, said Mumtaz, a pharmacist who lost his wife, parents, two brothers, sister-in-law and two nephews.
In an emailed response to a report submitted by Airwars on this and other incidents in December 2016, Coalition officials requested additional information concerning the alleged event.
On April 30th 2017 the Coalition accepted responsibility for eight deaths, noting: Dec. 11, 2016, near Mosul, Iraq, via NGO report: During a strike on ISIS fighters firing on Coalition and partnered forces, it was assessed that the strike impacted an ISIS weapons cache that set off secondary explosions that set an adjacent building on fire killing eight civilians in the building.
In July 2019, the Coalition provided Airwars with the location of this incident, accurate to within a 100 metre box.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
- Haj Mumtaz Abdullah Majid Adult male killed
- the Wife of Haj Mumtaz Abdullah Majid Adult female killed
Family members (4)
- Ammar Mumtaz Abdullah Adult male killed
- Lina Hisham AlAnnaz Adult female killed
- Ahmed Ammar Mumtaz Abdullah Child male killed
- Abdul Rahman Ammar Mumtaz Abdullah Child male killed
Family members (4)
- Mumtaz Mustafa Abdullah Adult male Via Monitoring and information killed
- Mohamed Mumtaz"s wife Adult female Via Monitoring and information killed
- Mumtaz Mustafa Abdullah's son wife son (Mohamed) Child male Via Monitoring and information killed
- Ghani Mumtaz Child female Via Monitoring and information killed
- Ashraf Badran Adult male killed
- Walied Child male killed
Sources (11) [ collapse]
Prior to the Coalition releasing the MGRS for this incident, Airwars had geolocated it to the nearest neighbourhood/area at 36.383778, 43.177611
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Apr 30, 2017
Dec. 11, 2016, near Mosul, Iraq, via NGO report: During a strike on ISIS fighters firing on Coalition and partnered forces, it was assessed that the strike impacted an ISIS weapons cache that set off secondary explosions that set an adjacent building on fire killing eight civilians in the building.
Original strike reports
For December 10th-11th, the Coalition reported “Near Mosul, four strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units; destroyed seven front-end loaders, three fighting positions, two ISIL-held buildings, two tractor trailer trucks, a vehicle, a land bridge, and three tunnels; damaged six tunnels; and disabled two bridges.”