A doctor reported to local media that up to 300 civilians had been killed and wounded in 48 hours of heavy fighting in West Mosul
Farid Orfali, a doctor at a German field hospital on the western Mosul border, had told Alaraby news that “more than 300 civilians have been killed and wounded, and we do not know whether the number will rise or it has actually risen [already]. It is not allowed to enter the areas of fighting, as the air and missile strikes continue in the northwestern neighborhoods of the Western side of Mosul.”
The same numbers of dead and wounded were reported by other local media. “The fighting of the last two days on the western side of the city of Mosul is the most violent of its kind in weeks,” a press source had told Yaqein Agency.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (6) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jan 25, 2018
The report contains insufficient information of the time location and details to assess its credibility.
Original strike reports
For May 8th-9th: “Near Mosul, six strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and a sniper; destroyed 12 fighting positions, seven rocket-propelled grenade systems, four medium machine guns, three mortar systems, two VBIED facilitation areas, two front-end loaders, a sniper position, a weapons cache, an IED facility, a roadblock, a VBIED; damaged 13 ISIS supply routes, three fighting positions; and suppressed a mortar position.”