Multiple local sources reported that dozens of civilians were killed or injured as a result of heavy airstrikes in Shifa neighborhood, in West Mosul.
Yaqein said that the Coalition was responsible for the raids, and that they also led to the destruction of houses of civilians.
Sawlf Ateka and Mosul Ista (two local Facebook groups) said that a number of houses and buildings had been hit by airstrikes, targeting a booby-trapped caravan (containing a car bomb) near the Republican Hospital in Shifa neighbourhood.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (7) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is a provisional reconciliation of the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, based on matching date and locational information.
The declassified documents were obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, and are included alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Feb 22, 2018
After a review of available information and strike video it was assessed that there is insufficient evidence to find that civilians were harmed in this strike.
Original strike reports
For May 18th-19th the Coalition publicly stated: “Near Mosul, five strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and a sniper; destroyed 13 fighting positions, three rocket systems, two heavy machine guns, two medium machine guns, a VBIED, and a mortar system; and damaged seven fighting positions and three ISIS supply routes.”