Between two and six civilians including a child died and “a large number” more were wounded in alleged Russian or Assad regime air or artillery strikes on Arbeen, according to sources on the ground.
Alraafed, cutting the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, reported “the killing of 12 civilians, including two children in Hmouriyeh, and three others in Arbin”.
Enab Baladi appeared to blame regime. It said that “warplanes launched raids on Harasta, Arbeen, Madara, Misraiba, Ein Tirma and Zamalek, totaling 70 air strikes. The air raids on the city of Arbeen killed two people and wounded, and a school went out of service as a result of targeting.”
According to the Smart News agency, a child was among those killed. This source blamed regime air and artillery strikes.
Other sources pointed to Russia or to both the regime and Russia. For example, according to Gate-ahram, “Syrian and Russian warplanes didn’t leave the eastern skies of Al-Ghouta on Saturday [Jan 6th] and there were more than 65 raids, 37 of them on the city of Harasta and 13 air raids on the town of Arbeen ”
Erbenhospital put the death toll at five with 30 more people wounded.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (3)
- Salah Labd Madani Adult male VDC blamed "Air bombardment of the Syrian government and its affiliated militias"
- Badr Odeh Madani Adult male VDC blamed "Air bombardment of the Syrian government and its affiliated militias"
- Al-Habbush Madani male VDC blamed "Air bombardment of the Syrian government and its affiliated militias"
- Mohammed Arafa Age unknown male killed
- Ahmed Abdullah Kawka Age unknown male killed
- Eid Barber Age unknown killed