One civilian died and four more were wounded in alleged Turkish shelling of the town of Tal Ref’at, according to local media – though one report also said that the Syrian Free Army also targeted Kurdish units in the town.
Rumaf named Alia Omar Sheikh and Othman Zakaria Mustafa as killed. However, a later report by Rumaf said that Othman Zakaria Mustafa was a member of “the Asayish forces”, the Kurdish security forces. It published images showing the funeral procession.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, “Turkish forces shelled areas in Tal Rifat town in the northern countryside of Aleppo, which is controlled by the Syria Democratic Forces. This resulted in the injury of four people”.
SDF press also pointed towards Turkey, reporting that “the Turkish occupation army and its mercenaries stationed in the towns of Mara and Kalgberin shelled the Tel Rifaat area with shells and heavy weapons. The shelling resulted in injuries among civilians, who were taken to a hospital.”
However, Ahmad al Farouh, pro-revolution activist from Mare’e, Aleppo, said that the Syrian Free Army targeted Kurdish units in the town with “artillery and mortars” – but made no mention of civilian harm.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
- Alia Omar Sheikh Adult female killed
- Othman Zakaria Mustafa Adult male combatant killed
- Depo Mohammed Champion Age unknown injured
- Abdul Basit Ali Sakran Age unknown injured
- Abdo Sukran Age unknown injured
- Mohammed Hassan Dibo Age unknown injured
- Mahmoud Hassan Dibo Age unknown injured
- Ghazi Rahal (refugee in the city of Tel Rifaat) Age unknown injured
- Louay Aboush (refugee) Age unknown injured
Sources (8) [ collapse]
Reports of the incident mention the city of Tal Ref’at ( تل رفعت), for which the generic coordinates are: 36.473056, 37.094444. Due to limited satellite imagery and information available to Airwars, we were unable to verify the location further.