Twenty civilians, including women and children, were killed and 30 more were injured in a series of alleged Coalition airstrikes on Abu Kamal in eastern Deir Ezzor, local media reported.
Multiple sources blamed the Coalition, putting death counts at either four or five non-combatants.
Euphrates Post also reported that the first strikes at 11am hit the house of Jumaa al Bandar behind an ISIL building near Hajana Street, while the second at 2.30pm struck a four-storey building on the main street, near the second-hand market.
AlSharqiya24 reported that the strikes focused on Souk al Hall Street, the main street and the house of Jamal al Zayn meanwhile Free Dier Azour Radio added that the strikes were in the vicinity of Al Hanaa hospital.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights, which blamed the Coalition, put the death toll at 11 including two children and four women.
In their June 2020 civilian casualty report, the US-led Coalition assessed reports that they were responsible for civilian harm in this strike as “non-credible”, stating that no Coalition actions were conducted in the geographical area at that time.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (20)
- Badri Mohammed Al-Bandar Age unknown killed
- Baida Hamed al-Yaqoub "Badri al-Bandar's wife" Adult female killed
- Khaled Badri Al-Bandar Age unknown killed
- Rashed Badri Al Bandar Age unknown killed
- Aya Badri Al Bandar Age unknown female killed
- Maya Badri Al Bandar Age unknown female killed
- Hakoum Mohammed Al - Bandar Age unknown killed
- Ghalia Abdullah Al-Fathi, wife of Hakoum Al Bandar Adult female killed
- Hazem Hakoum Al Bandar Age unknown killed
- Aida Hakoum Al Bandar Age unknown female killed
- Hadil Hakoum Al Bandar Age unknown female killed
- Amani Hakoum Al Bandar Age unknown female killed
- Lama’a Jameel Al-Yaqoub (the wife of Jumaa al-Bandar) Adult female killed
- Raslan Jamaa al-Bandar Age unknown killed
- Yusuf's the son of Haytham Kamal al-Harb 4 years old male killed
- Raad Mousa Al Mahmoud Al Mousa Age unknown male killed
- Khalafa al-Hammadi "wife of Atallah al-Sayes" Adult female killed
- Hashem Ahmed Atallah Al-Sayes Age unknown killed
- Rahaf Marwan al Khalil, wife of Hazem al-Bandar Adult female killed
- Amna Mohammed al-Hariri Age unknown female displaced from Palyma killed
Sources (16) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jun 24, 2020
July 11, 2017, in Abu Kamal, Syria, via Airwars report. After a review of all available records it was assessed that no Coalition actions were conducted in the geographical area that corresponds to the report of civilian casualties. 3121/CS1187 37SFU752154
Original strike reports
For July 11th-12th: “Near Dayr Az Zawr, six strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 25 ISIS oil refinement stills, five oil tanks, and 10 oil tankers.“