In the Amnesty and Airwars’s joint April 2019 report “War in Raqqa: Rhetoric versus Reality”, 12 civilians were reportedly killed in alleged Coalition artillery strikes in Raqqa. Although Airwars assesses single sourced incidents as “weak”, researchers have assessed this incident “fair” due to the depth of material provided by Amnesty.
Field notes suggested that 11 civilians were killed on the interior of Ali Jandal’s house – the site which was struck – and one civilian was killed on the exterior. Nine women, three children and one man (who was outside) were killed, and others were injured.
Researchers did not note the name of the street, however did report it was only a few roads away from Dara’iya.
The report states “Artillery shells smashed into the home of the Jandal family, killing 12 women and children who were sitting together and a young man who was passing outside. Only a six-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy survived, both severely injured.” The children who were injured were, Dalal’s daughter Mariam, 6 and a half and Yousef, 10, grandson of Yazi (son of daughter) who received an abdomen injury.
Yazi’s husband and Dalal’s husband were in other houses just across the road, with male neighbours therefore survived the strike.
Subhi, a survivor of the strike whose wife and three daughters were killed, was interviewed by Amnesty. He stated “I was at home with other neighbours and the women and children were at the house across the road which was bombed. It was a massacre. Why bomb civilians?”
The incident occured at 9:00 pm local time.
The victims were named as:
Family members (4)
- Dalal Subhi al-Mansour 24 years old female killed
- Jamila Subhi Hammud al-Mansour 8 years old female Dalal's daughter killed
- Islam 3 years old female Dalal's daughter killed
- Ritaj 7 months years old female Dalal's daughter
Family members (2)
- Yazi AbdNasser Gaoud (Ka’oud) 55 years old female killed
- Khulud al-Mansour 13 years old female daughter of Yazi killed
Family members (2)
- AbdalQader AbdRahman al-Mansour 3 years old male child of of Fadila killed
- Jawaher AbdRahman al-Mansour 2 years old female child of of Fadila killed
Family members (3)
- Asma Jamous 45 years old female killed
- Houda Jamous 42 years old female sister of Asma killed
- Zahra al-Jandal 55 years old female sister of Asma killed
- Abderrahman Ibn AbdlKarim al-Abdallah 26 years old male killed in same strike just outside the house while rescuing other injured killed
Sources (1) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Original strike reports
Not yet assessed.