In a major civilian casualty event, between 23 and 50 civilians were reported killed and dozens injured in the Bedo neighborhood of Raqqa, local media reported.
However, in May 2019 the Coalition announced that it had classed the civilian harm allegations as non-credible, noting “after a review of all available strike records it was determined that, more likely than not, civilian casualties did not occur as a result of a Coalition strike.”
In the main, sources estimate the death toll at “more than 40”. However, a Tweet by @Q_Alenezy suggested that there could be “more than 50” dead, as people were still trapped under rubble.
The incident was described by some sources, including Step News Agency, as “one of the largest massacres since the start of the battle”. Nearly all sources tracked held the US-led Coalition responsible for the airstrikes and the subsequent loss of civilian life.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights put the death toll at 23. However, most other sources said that up to 40 civilians had died – mostly women and children. Sound and Picture said that 42 had been killed.
Activists that spoke to Smart News said “the bombing targeted a residential building in the Bedu neighbourhood, near Na’im roundabout, which the organization used as a platform for executions, and that bodies were still under the rubble”. The death toll, sources said, is likely to rise due to the people still trapped under the destroyed buildings.
Local residents were able to save three people who were next to the building, according to a correspondent cited in Sound and Picture.
The Euphrates Post published a series of photographs of the homes destroyed; the houses of Musa al Mashhadani, Khalil al-Mahbash and Fadel Moussa and Darda.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (31) [ collapse]
Geolocation notes (2) [ collapse]
Reports of the incident mention multiple locations around the Al Naim roundabout (دوار النعيم), for which the coordinates are: 35.95447, 39.009392. The video posted by Euphrates Post shows damage to buildings at the following coordinates: 35.957969, 39.007720.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
May 31, 2019
Aug. 20, 2017, near al-Bado neighborhood, Raqqah, Syria, via Airwars report. After a review of all available strike records it was determined that, more likely than not, civilian casualties did not occur as a result of a Coalition strike.
Original strike reports
For August 19th-20th: “Near Raqqah, five strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions.” It additionally added that “On Aug. 19, near Raqqah, Syria, 36 strikes engaged 22 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 29 fighting positions and seven command and control nodes.” That “On Aug. 19, near Raqqah, Syria, six strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed five fighting positions, an IED, and a command and control node.” And that “On Aug. 19, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.”
For Aug 16-22, France report 5 strikes in Iraq and 2 in Syria. Task Force Wagram conducted 60 artillery missions.