Fourteen civilians were allegedly killed on the 8th of October by Coalition airstrikes near the Old Mosque in Raqqa.
On December 14th, Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently reported “the bodies of the martyrs Mohammed Hassan Aarouni and Alaa Mohammed Aarouni were found with his family and Ibrahim Mohammed Aarouni and his family under the rubble in the city of Raqqa after they died as a result of an air strike carried out by coalition aircraft during the control campaign several months ago.”
It was unclear at what point during the Raqqa campaign that the victims died.
Since this reportage Amnesty International has conducted on the ground field research which suggested the airstrike occurred on the 8th. However, on 2017/07/07-2017/07/19 no new visible damage was seen via Google Earth on this specific date. The date needs further research.
Amnesty research specified that Ala’Eddine Mohammed Aarouni, his wife Aisha, and their two sons Dia’ and Ziad were killed at 12.30 pm in their home. It was described by Amnesty as a four story building where the family lived on they were on the second floor. The building was building not destroyed; only struck flat.
The building was – according to Amnesty – struck by a missile.
Mohammad, the son of a victim told Amnesty in a testimony that “My father and his wife were hosting my aunt, who is blind and and my uncle and his family. The missile targeted their apartment. The building was not destroyed. I can’t understand why my family was targeted.”
Ten others were killed with the family, and are named below.
In July 2019 the Coalition announced that it had assessed this allegation of civilian harm to be non-credible. Their monthly civilian casualty report noted: “After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition actions were conducted in the geographical area that corresponds to the report of civilian casualties.”
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/airwars-new/templates/posts/civ/victims.php on line 10
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/airwars-new/templates/posts/civ/victims.php on line 12
Family members (12)
- Ala’Eddine Mohammed Aarouni 44 years old male teacher killed
- Aisha 35 years old female his wife killed
- Dia’ 1 years old male son of Ala’Eddine killed
- Ziad 1 month years old male son of Ala’Eddine killed
- Aunt Hana’ Moh Aarouni 50 years old female blind killed
- Uncle Ibrahim Moh Aarouni 40 years old male killed
- Fatima Hassan Aarouni 30s years old female Ibrahim's wife killed
- Ghaida’ 6 years old female child of Fatima and Ibrahim killed
- Sidra 7 years old female child of Fatima and Ibrahim killed
- Yaman 2 years old female child of Fatima and Ibrahim killed
- Moh 10 years old male child of Fatima and Ibrahim killed
- Aghiad 8 years old male child of Fatima and Ibrahim killed
- Mohammed Hassan Aarouni Age unknown male not named by Amnesty but most likely related killed
Sources (2) [ collapse]
Building struck, however no visible damage around the date specified by Amnesty International.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jul 26, 2019
Oct. 8, 2017, in Raqqa, Syria, via Amnesty International report. After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition actions were conducted in the geographical area that corresponds to the report of civilian casualties
Original strike reports
"No coalition actions".