Manbij Mother of All the World initially reported what it said were Coalition strikes on Tal Aswad, targeting a reservoir. In a subsequent report, it said a “massacre” had been committed “against two familes as a result of wrong information from the Kurdish units in the village.” It named four victims.
A report by the Military Committee for Manbij noted that strikes in Tal Aswad had “killed dozens” of members of IS.
The Syrian Netowrk reported three civilians had died “due to International Coalition warplanes” firing missiles on Tal Aswad. Subsequent reports, however, put the toll higher: Baladi Network reported 4 civilians “martyred in international coalition raids”; Aleppo 24 put the toll at 5 civilians killed, including three girls. Halab Today also reported at least 5 victims, including three girls, and identified Dr. al Abd as a veterinarian. The latest post by Manbij Mother of All the World put the total number of dead and injured at 10. The Manbij Documentation Agency reported “7 martyrs.”
However, additional reporting by the Syrian Observatory put the death toll at 5; Halab Today TV said that all three girls were the daughters of Khalaf af Farhan.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (7)
- Dr. Mahmoud al Mustapha al Abd 31 years years old male Veterinarian killed
- Osama al Mustapha al Abd 21 years years old male killed
- Dr. Mahmoud's sister Age unknown female injured
- Abboud al Mustapha al Abd Age unknown male injured
- Abboud al Mustapha al Abd's wife Age unknown female injured
- Osama Mustapha al Abd 15 years years old male killed
- Mustapha Mahmoud al Abd 37 years years old male killed
Family members (2)
- Khalaf al Farhan's daughter Age unknown female killed
- Khalaf al Farhan's daughter Age unknown female One of her feet was amputated as a result of the bombing injured
- Mostapha al Mahmoud 4 years years old male killed
- Mahmoud al Yasin al Dalik's wife Age unknown female Died November 24th of wounds sustained in attack killed
Sources (23) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Aug 4, 2017
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area of the reported civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For October 23rd-24th, the Coalition reported “Near Manbij, one strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.” For October 24th-25th, the Coalition reported “Near Mar’a, two strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two fighting positions, a mortar system, and a vehicle.”