Three civilians died and between four and 12 others were injured in an airstrike on Al Mayadeen, according to local media. Though most reports didn’t identify the culprit, two sources pointed towards the US-led Coalition.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, “warplanes believed to belong to the International Coalition carried out after midnight yesterday raids on places in al-Mayadin city in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The first raid targeted the street of al-Tayba Mosque, while the second and third ones targeted two houses belonging to civilians, injuring 12 people and most of them are in critical situation”.
Sharqiya Voice reported “an raid on al Mayadeen targeting the house of Hashim al Hamidi”. It didn’t say who was responsible. A further report added that there were three strikes, reporting that “the raids targeted the home of Ayed al Mukhlef. Six of his family members were wounded – most of them left in a critical condition. The home of Hamid al Haj Hussein was also targeted and his son [listed below] was killed.”
Another report by Sharqiya Voice named one male a victim and blamed the Coalition. The victim was also named by Syrian Press Center, 24Deirezzor and Euphrates Post – though these sources didn’t say who was responsible for his death.
Euphrates Post didn’t report any deaths but said that six members of Ayed al Khalaf’s family had been “wounded to vary degrees” by “unidentified warplanes”.
Similarly, Smart News Agency reported strikes but said that the warplanes had not been identified.
Euphrates Post and Asharqiya Voice later reported two members of the same family died from injuries sustained in Al Mayadin a few days previously, raising the death toll to three.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
The victims were named as:
Sources (19) [ collapse]
from sources (3) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is a provisional reconciliation of the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, based on matching date and locational information.
The declassified documents were obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, and are included alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Dec 28, 2017
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area that correspond to the report of civilian casualties. (1367)
Original strike reports
For April 22nd-23rd, the Coalition reported: "Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed 15 oil stills and five ISIS well heads"
For April 23rd- 24th, the Coalition reported: "Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed three ISIS well heads"