Sixteen civilians including six children and seven women died in an alleged Coalition airstrike on Al Barounda village, according to local sources.
Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently (RBSS) – who blamed the Coalition – initially reported the death of three non-combatants. Step News Agency also put the death toll at three – however, a subsequent report by RBSS said that the number of victims had increased to 16, with most of them displaced from Al Sukhna.
The Violations Documentation Center was among the sources blaming the Coalition. It named 13 victims. Further victims were named by other sources.
RBSS also published an image of a woman.There is no named on the photo but one of the comments says ‘May God have mercy on Umm Saddam’so’, she is Saddam’s mother. It puts the death toll at 16.
RFS also said that 16 civilians died with dozens more wounded and blamed the Coalition, reporting that civilian homes were targeted resulting in widespread destruction.
According to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, six children and six women were among the 16 killed by Coalition missiles.
Sawarim [IS propaganda] referred specifically to “US raids”.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (9)
- Roz Saddam al-Nayef al-Haj Child female
- Ibraheem Saddam al-Nayef al-Haj Child male killed
- Gezlan Saddam al-Nayef al-Haj Child female killed
- Fatima Ibraheem al-Nayef al-Haj Adult female killed
- Afra al-Khalifeh al-Haj Adult female killed
- Ibraheem al-Nayef al-Haj Adult male killed
- Ahlam Saddam al-Nayef al-Haj Child female killed
- Angam Saddam al-Nayef al-Haj Child female killed
- Mohammad Ahmad al-Nayef al-Haj Adult male killed
Family members (3)
- Hamoud al-Zend Adult male killed
- Wife of Hamoud al-Zend 1 Adult female killed
- Wife of Hamoud al-Zend 2 Adult female killed
Family members (2)
- Issa Al-Mousa Al-Hamoud Adult male killed
- His wife “Khawla Al Jaber Adult female killed
- Fozeh Mohammad Awwad al-Arab Adult female killed
- Daughter of Mohammed Nur al – Issa Child female killed
Sources (32) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Aug 4, 2017
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area that correspond to the report of civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For May 22nd-23rd, the Coalition reported: “Near Raqqah, 13 strikes engaged 11 ISIS tactical units; destroyed 15 fighting positions, two vehicles, a weapons cache; and damaged an ISIS supply route.” It later additionally added that on May 22nd “Near Raqqah, Syria, three strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed a fighting position, a VBIED, and a front-end loader.”
For May 23rd-24th, the Coalition reported: "Near Raqqah, three strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed three fighting positions and a mortar system." It added that on May 23rd "Near Raqqah, Syria, three strikes destroyed eight command and control nodes and destroyed a VBIED facility."