At least 14 civilians, including four women and five children from entire families were killed in airstrikes targeting Al Mayadin, 45km southeast of Deir Ezzor city, according to local sources – though reports are conflicted as to whether the Coalition or the Assad regime or even Iraqi warplanes were responsible.
Ahmad al Shabli and the Syrian Observatory for Human rights alleged that the Coalition carried out the strikes, while the Syrian Network for Human Rights pointed at the Syrian government.
Euphrates Post said that it was not immediately clear who was to blame, however, it noted that the strikes targeted the same areas hit by the Coalition two days earlier.
According to Euphrates Post, there were three different raids which struck the Al Sina’a neighbourhood near the Al Sina’a school and hospital, Al Arbaeen Street (40th Street) and the Amer al Sayer building. RFS added that the industrial zone was struck.
DeirAlzorPN reported three Coalition strikes: “The first and second raids were between Al-Shaher Hospital and Dr. Nouri Al-Saeed Hospital in the market “Diwan Al-Waka’a. The third raid was next to the Zawak restaurant near the court.”
The Shaam News Network – also attributing the event to the Coalition – put the death toll at 14 with dozens more wounded.
Zaman ALwasl said that the warplanes responsible had not been identified but that they were believed to be Iraqi.
Euphrates Post listed the victims and mentioned an additional young girl of a displaced family from Deralzor city.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (5)
- Hassan Hussein Al-Arouk killed
- Hossain Al-Hamad Al-Arouk killed
- Hamad Hussain Al-Arouk killed
- Lina Hussein Al – Arouk female killed
- Grandson of Hussein Al-Arouk Child male killed
Family members (2)
- Laith Abdel Salam Al Alousi Adult male killed
- The wife of Laith Al Alousi Adult female killed
Family members (6)
- Umm Khalif - Hanasha Adult female Wife of Hassoun al-Ako killed
- Wife of Khalef Fawzi al-Ako Adult female killed
- Mohammed Khalif Fawzi Al Ako Child male killed
- Wife of Fawaz al – Hassoun Adult female killed
- Daughter of Maher al-Hassoun al-Ako Child female killed
- Daughter of Fawzi al Hassoun al Ako Child female killed
Sources (30) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jan 25, 2018
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area that correspond to the report of civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For May 23rd-24th, the Coalition reported: “Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed eight ISIS oil stills and destroyed two ISIS oil truck.”
For May 24th-25th, the Coalition reported: "Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed an ISIS barge."