Between 12 and 29 civilians including up to five children and five women died in airstrikes on Al Bab, according to local media – though sources were conflicted as to whether this was the work of Turkey or the US-led Coalition.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, “The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented today a massacre that took the lives of a family of 11 men and a woman and a child, they were killed by raids by Turkish warplanes and the shells of their forces that fell on the city”.
Syria News Desk said that five children died in the Turkish bombing.
However, the Syrian Network for Human Rights blamed the Coalition for the death of 12 civilians, including 5 children and 4 women”.
Al Hayat also pointed to the Coalition, reporting that “29 were killed and four buildings destroyed in the coalition air strikes”.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
- Mohammad Kheir Omar Bat-hish Adult male killed
- his wife Hamida Bat-hish Adult female killed
Family members (3)
- Hussein al Haj Ahmad Bat-hish Adult male killed
- his wife Nadwa Hamdan Adult female pregnant killed
- 7 month old foetus Child killed
Family members (4)
- Omar Hussein Bat-hish Adult male killed
- his wife Adult female daughter of Adel al Najeh Al Hamdo al Saleh killed
- Hissan Omar Bat-hish 4 years old male killed
- Mohammad Omar Bat-hish 3 years old male killed
- Unidentified child 1 years old female killed
- the wife of Mahmoud Hussein Bat-hish Adult female daughter of Alaa al Othman killed
- the child Hassan Mahmoud Bat-hish Child killed
Sources (10) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jun 2, 2017
After a review of available information and strike video it was assessed that there is insufficient information available to determine if civilians were present or harmed in this strike.
Original strike reports
For February 19th-20th, the Coalition reported: “Near Al Bab, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.” For February 20th-21st, they reported: “Near Al Bab, three strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units, destroyed four ISIS-held buildings, and damaged an ISIS-held building.”