At least 15 civilians – most or all women – were killed and 45 or more wounded by an airstrike which hit a Shi’ite shrine in Duquq, according to local sources. The Coalition later categorically denied that it was responsible for the event, with Iraqi aircraft most likely at fault.
Local official Amir Huda Karam told the AFP that “fifteen women were killed and another 50 wounded in a raid that targeted a Shi’ite place of worship at Dakuk.”
The Middle East Eye noted that the strike took place as “IS launched a major attack on the city of Kirkuk on Friday” which they said killed 18 members of the security forces. Duquq is roughly 30km south of the city of Kirkuk. Neither the AFP or Middle East Eye identified who carried out the strike.
However Yagein blamed the Coalition, and further reported that the strike hit a funeral, resulting in the deaths of “ten women… and a number of men.” Other outlets, including Iraqi Spring and Alghadeer TV also blamed the Coalition, and noted the victims were mostly women. Photographs posted by the Duquq Photographers Union showed a heavily damaged building, the front of which was destroyed.
On October 23rd, the chief Coalition spokesman stated on Twitter that “.@CJTFOIR has determined definitively that we did not conduct the airstrike w/reported civilian casualties in Daquq.” Al Araby later reported that an Iraqi Sukhoi had been responsible for the attack – and that the pilot and navigator were now under investigation.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (12) [ collapse]
from sources (3) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Aug 4, 2017
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area of the reported civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For October 21st-22nd the Coalition reported “Near Sultan Abdallah, two strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three vehicles,” and “Near Al Huwayjah, one strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three vehicles.” It also reported “Near Bashir, two strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units and destroyed a weapons cache”.