In an incident not previously tracked by Airwars, the Coalition said in its July report that an allegation on social media of civilian casualties had been assessed as Not Credible.
According to the report “Feb. 19, 2017, near Mosul, Iraq, via social media report: No Coalition strikes were conducted on that day in the geographic area of the reported civilian casualties. A similar report of possible civilian casualties less than a kilometer away is still being assessed.”
Coalition officials said the alleged event took place in the vicnity of 38SLF 33392 18801.
Sources (1) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Apr 30, 2017
No Coalition strikes were conducted on that day in the geographic area of the reported civilian casualties. A similar report of possible civilian casualties less than a kilometer away is still being assessed.
Original strike reports
For February 18th-19th the Coalition publicly noted: “Near Mosul, nine strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and an ISIS staging area; destroyed four ISIS headquarters, four watercraft, three engineering equipment pieces, three command and control nodes, two artillery systems, a vehicle, an excavator, a fighting position, an ISIS-held building, and an ISIS support facility; damaged nine supply routes and three tunnels; and suppressed 11 mortar teams, and an artillery team.”