According to local sources, up to 12 civilians were killed in an airstrike on the town of Mjawda. Local sources were conflicted as to who was to blame, with some attributing blame to Russia, while others attributed blame to the US-led Coalition.
Both the Violations Documentation Center and Euphrates Post identified eight victims of the attack – while VDC-SY identified the Coalition as the culprit, Euphrates stated that Russian aircraft were behind the attack.
According to a tweet by @ahraralmyadein, aircraft had deployed 15 missiles on the town.
SyrianPC reported warplanes launched more than 20 air raids on villages and towns in eastern Deir Ezzor. According to the outlet, Russian warplanes committed the most terrible massacres against civilians in the east of countryside of Deir al-Azzur, as part of his fierce campaign against the region.
Euphrates Post, the Syrian Network for Human Rights and Baladi News confirmed that Russia was the culprit, with the latter outlet noting that: Seven civilians were killed on Wednesday by aerial bombardment of aircraft believed to be Russian. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported the highest tally of 12 civilians killed, including three women and a child – while Albokmal News specifically stated in a tweet that “there are no casualties.
In the first of their September 2020 civilian casualty reports, the US-led Coalition assessed reports that they were responsible for civilian harm in this strike as “non-credible”, stating that the allegation provided insufficient information on the timing and location of the strike to make a determination.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (8)
- Khalif Makhlaf Mohammed Al-Issa Adult male Via Euphrates Post killed
- Aisha Mohammed Al-Sheha Adult female Via Euphrates Post killed
- Rasha Khalaf Makhlaf al-Issa Age unknown female Via Euphrates Post killed
- Omar Khalif Makhlaf Al-Issa Age unknown male Via Euphrates Post killed
- Hanaa Ali al-Awad (wife of Ammar Adult female Via Euphrates Post killed
- Tasnim Ammar Khalif Makhlaf Al-Issa Age unknown female Via Euphrates Post killed
- Raheeq Ammar Khalif Makhlaf Al-Issa Age unknown female Via Euphrates Post killed
- Aa’ishah Ammar Khalif Makhlaf Al-Issa Age unknown female Via Euphrates Post killed
Sources (12) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Sep 9, 2020
Oct. 11, 2017, in Al Mjawda, Syria, via Airwars report. The report contains insufficient information on time, location, or details to assess its credibility. 3156/CS1620 No MGRS Given
Original strike reports
For October 10th – 11th the Coalition reported that “Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed two ISIS vehicles and two trailers.”