13 civilians were killed – including nine from one family – due to the “bombing of the International Air Force on the city of Raqqa during the battle for control of the city”. Kurdish news agency Hawar later published an interview with a survivor named as Yazan Abdulrahman Mohammad, in which it was stated that in fact named nine family members had died in the event. According to the report itself, the family died during ISIS shelling of the building in which they were sheltering. However in the accompanying video interview, Mr Mohammad in fact blames their deaths on a “missile from a plane.” Field research done by Amnesty International reported that four of the victims were neighbours. Amnesty reported that nine family members died along with four neighbours in an airstrike on a four storey house in Hadeeqat al Bayda. This was their family home however the neighbours were Internally Displaced People.
During investigations of this event for the April 2019 joint Airwars and Amnesty report War in Raqqa: Rethoric versus Reality (www.raqqa.amnesty.org), Amnesty field researchers interviewed Yazan about this incident and established the exact location of it. The report notes: “An airstrike on a four-storey building in the Hadeeqat al Bayda neighbourhood killed nine members of the Subhi family and four of their neighhours.” Yazan said the following: “Every one in my family was killed in the strike, as well as our next door neighbours, who had come to stay with us because their house had been bombed the previous day. 19 were killed in that strike.” The strike of the previous day, in which 19 members of the next door neighbours were killed can be found under the following incident code: CS1634. The investigation also found that the strike took place at 5pm on October 3rd, 2017, rather than on October 17, as Airwars had initially reported.
The incident occured at 5:00 pm local time.
The victims were named as:
Family members (9)
- Abdelrahman Mohammed Ali Ibn Mohamed Subhi 56 years old male Yazan's father killed
- Fatima Aziz Imu 49 years old female Wife of Abdelrahman Mohammed Ali Ibn Mohamed Subhi killed
- Badria A’Rahman Mohammed Ali 45 years old female Sister of Badria A’Rahman Mohammed Ali killed
- Safyah A’Rahman Mohammed Ali 55 years old female Sister of Abdelrahman Mohammed Ali Ibn Mohamed Subhi killed
- Mohammed Subhi 77 years old male Father of Abdul Rahman killed
- Hassan A’Rahman Mohammed Ali 12 years old male Son of Abdelrahman and Fatima, brother of Yazan killed
- Marwa 12 years old female Daughter of Safyah A’Rahman Mohammed Ali killed
- Walaa 10 years old female Daughter of Safyah A’Rahman Mohammed Ali killed
- Fatima Barakah 73 years old female Abdelrahman's mother killed
Family members (3)
- Abu Abdo 47 years old male neighbour staying with Subhi killed
- Aya 17 years old female Abu Abdo's daughter killed
- Mohammed 12 years old male Abu Abdo's son killed
- Walid Abu Mohammed 37 years old male eighbour staying with Subhi killed
Sources (3) [ collapse]
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jun 28, 2018
October 16, 2017, near Raqqah, Syria, via Airwars report. The report contains insufficient information of the time, location and details to assess its credibility.
Original strike reports
For October 16th-17th it noted: “Near Raqqah, three strikes suppressed three ISIS communication lines.” The last reported strikes prior to this were on October 12th.