One civilian was killed when warplanes bombed Al Siassah bridge over the Euphrates river in Deir Ez-Zawr, it was widely claimed.
Reports cited both Coalition and Russian forces, although CENTCOM reported the destruction of two supply routes in Deir Ezzor for October 5th-6th.
Sham News Network reported that “Russian planes bombed al Siassah bridge, which leads to the city of Deir Ezzor.” It cited activists who said the raids destroyed part of the bridge, causing cars to fall into the Euphrates river, killing one person and leaving several civilians wounded.
Local sources reported that Subhi al Souweij (aka Subhi al A’kla) was killed in Russian Strikes on the bridge. Other reports, including from ARA News and Radio al Kul News, also blamed Russian sorties for the bombing of the bridge, which reportedly had been targeted for several days. ISIL’s media arm Al A’maq published a video of the bridge, showing part of it destroyed. It also attributed the airstrike to Russia, but did not mention any civilian casualties.
However, Step News Agency reported that “warplanes believed to belong to the international Coalition” targeted al Siassah bridge.
All4Syria blamed yet another party – “regime fighter jets” – for putting the bridge out of service, which it described as a “vital artery” to Deir Ezzor city.
Given reported British actions in the area that day, Airwars flagged the incident to the UK’s MoD which said ” we can confirm that there was no UK involvement” in the event. However given the limited information given by the MoD on its strikes in Syria that day, Airwars has requested further clarification.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Sources (11) [ collapse]
from sources (2) [ collapse]
Attached to this civilian harm incident is a provisional reconciliation of the Pentagon's declassified assessment of this civilian harm allegation, based on matching date and locational information.
The declassified documents were obtained by Azmat Khan and the New York Times through Freedom of Information requests and lawsuits filed since March 2017, and are included alongside the corresponding press release published by the Pentagon. Airwars is currently analysing the contents of each file, and will update our own assessments accordingly.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Aug 4, 2017
After a review of available information it was assessed that no Coalition strikes were conducted in the geographical area of the reported civilian casualties.
Original strike reports
For October 5th-6th CENTCOM reported “Near Dayr az Zawr, two strikes destroyed an ISIL oil well head and damaged two supply routes.”