Cluster bombs dropped by alleged Russian or Assad regime warplanes bombarded and destroyed residential housing killing 12 civilians and wounding up to 40 more in Jisr al-Shughur, local media reported.
Baladi News and Jisrtv blamed Russian warplanes for the airstrikes. LCCSY, however, blamed the Assad regime for the raids. Zaman al-Wasl News reported sighting both Assad regime and Russian warplanes.
Shaam News Network confirmed the event occurred at dawn, with two raids which included rockets loaded cluster bombs. It reported that “Russian warplanes targeted al Sawma’a Square with cluster bomb the city centre, causing the fall of seven martyrs of the primary outcome and more than 30 injured.”
According to Jisrtv, “Russian warplanes targeted Al-Soama’a square in Jisr Al-Shoughour with cluster bombs which killed seven in the initial death toll and wounded tens.”
At the time this was reported Jisrtv claimed the Civil Defence team were still rescuing bodies from the rubble. A correspondent from Al Jazeera said that “The raids caused a huge destruction in the buildings which made the rescuing much harder.”
Syrian Human Rights Network put the number killed slightly higher at 12. It also confirmed that 10 of those people were women and children.
Other reports claimed that 40 were injured and many of them were critical therefore the death toll was likely to rise. Syrian Press Center confirmed that 12 civilians had been killed, naming ten which is seen below. The same media also reported that only 30 people had been injured.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
- Hana’a Omar Al-Sheik Age unknown female killed
- Saleha Al-Sheik Age unknown female killed
- Nawar Farran Age unknown male killed
- Layla Mohammed Mobayed Age unknown female killed
- Nidal Fido Age unknown male killed
- Othman Age unknown male killed
- Sham Ahmad Kaser Ghalyoun Age unknown male killed
- Hana’a Haj Hassan Age unknown female killed
- Fatima Shehada Age unknown female killed
- Kaltoum Amer Age unknown female killed
- A child from the Bakora family. Child killed
Sources (19) [ collapse]
from sources (2) [ collapse]
This media contains graphic content. Click to unblur.
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
Russia has not reported any strikes between July 16th – 27th 2016.