In what multiple sources described as a “massacre”, between 40 and 55 civilians – many of them reportedly children and women – died and up to 70 more were wounded in airstrikes on the village of Oweijal. The strikes resulted in widespread destruction to civilian homes – and, according to several reports – the destruction of an entire neighbourhood. @ALAMWI, for example, reported that “ten houses were completely destroyed”.
The majority of sources blamed Russia for the event, though there were two allegations against the Assad regime.
Most sources put the death toll between 25 and 30 civilians. Several said that this was a double-tip strike, with warplanes returning a second time to target those involved in the rescue operation. Orient News reported that victims included ” members of the civil defence, paramedics and media personnel”.
According to the Shaam News Network, “activists said that the Russian warplane targeted a residential area in the town of Oweijal with several missiles, which resulted in deaths and injuries of civilians. The area was targeted for a second time as ambulance teams gathered to aid the victims of the first strike”.
The highest death count was given by @watannews2015 at 55 civilians, “half of them women and children”.
Alsouria pointed directly to “the planes of Bashar al-Assad’s regime”, while the Syrian Network for Human Rights – who put the initial death toll at 14 – blamed “government warplanes and its allies”.
Halab News reported that Russia hit the village with “four bunker-busting missiles” and listed the following civilians as killed “following Russian raids” on the town. 14 named and 26 were left unidentified. Al Jazeera also put the death toll at 40.
@spm_syria reported the “disappearance of the young media Zain Ali” and published his photo.
According to Defence_arab, “A Russian warplane fired a concussion at the village of Oweijal, killing 32 people and injuring sixty others. A residential area of about 10 buildings was destroyed.”
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
- Taha al Hamdo Adult male killed
- Wife of Taha al Hamdo Adult female killed
Family members (2)
- Taha Ahmad al Hussein Age unknown killed
- Hassoun Hussein Age unknown killed
- Hussein abd al Razzaq Age unknown male killed
- Nouri Mohammad al Nouriyawi Age unknown killed
- Abdo Ahmad al Nouri Age unknown killed
- Abd al Salam al Moun Age unknown killed
- Abdel Qader al Hadidi Age unknown killed
- Mahmoud al Kibish Age unknown killed
- Mahmoud Abdo al Nouri Age unknown killed
- Mahmoud Hussein al Taha Age unknown killed
- Abd al Hamid Mohammad Hamdo Age unknown killed
- Hanaa Ahmad Mahmoud Child killed
- Abdallah al Milhem Age unknown male media reporters injured
- Abdul Razzaq Shakurdi Age unknown male media reporters injured
Sources (28) [ collapse]
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
Russia has not reported any strikes between October 1st – 19th 2016.