One civilian died and several more were wounded in an airstrike on Al Sheikh Mustapha, local media reported – though it was unclear whether Russia or the Syrian regime were to blame.
According to the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights on October 22nd, “the number of civilians who were killed by Russian airstrikes in the Idlib countryside during the past 24 hours rose to 24 including 4 children and 3 women, while no less than 70 others were wounded and seriously wounded. The targeted areas were Jesr al-Shughour, Maara al-Nu’man, Kafanubol, Shekh Mustafa, Terai and Babouleen, Maarzita”.
However, a number of other sources, including @syriahadath1, @EdlibEmc1 , the Syrian Network for Human and Rozanafm reported regime strikes – though made no mention of civilian harm – but some said that the raids had caused damage. SN4HR reported that the raid occurred near the Sheikh Mustafa Mosque resulting in minor physical damage.
But the Syrian Network for Human Rights said that regime aircraft carried out a strike on Al Sheikh Mustapha. It made no mention of civilian harm, but said that there had been “minor physical damage”.
On October 21st, Halab Today reported that “regime and Russian planes have intensified their raids on the cities and towns of Idlib province during the last 24 hours”, resulting in one death in Al Sheikh Mustapha – meaning that regime involvement in this event can’t be ruled out.
Several other sources referred only to planes” and didn’t identify who they belonged to.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
Sources (12) [ collapse]
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
On 20th October 2016, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation reported on the decisions made aimed towards stabilising the situation in Aleppo.
""Today, strikes by the Russian Aerospace Forces and the Syrian Air Force are finished at 10:00 (MSK) in the area of Aleppo. Early termination of the airstrikes is essential for holding a “humanitarian pause” on October 20, 2016”, said General of the Army Sergei Shoigu. According to him, it will allow to guarantee security of civilians leaving the city through 6 humanitarian corridors and to prepare casualty and medical evacuation from the eastern part of Aleppo.
“We apply to the leadership of countries influencing on armed formations active in the eastern part of Aleppo with a proposal to convince their leaders to stop warfare and leave the city,” stated the Minister of Defence.
According to General of the Army Sergei Shoigu, by the start of the “humanitarian pause” the Syrian troops will have been withdrawn to the distance safe for insurgents to leave the city with weapons through two special corridors: one – along the Kastello road, second – in the area of Suk al-Hai market."