Civilian Casualties

Civilian Casualties

Incident Code

RS1509

Incident date

October 28, 2016

Location

دوما, Douma, Damascus, Syria

Geolocation

33.5714804, 36.4033699 Note: The accuracy of this location is to City level. Continue to map

Geolocation accuracy

City

Airwars assessment

A woman and her unborn child died in an alleged Russian or Syrian regime air or artillery strike on Douma, according to sources on the ground. 

According to the Step News Agency, “a woman and her foetus were killed and a number of more people wounded when Russian planes targeted residential areas in Douma Eastern Douma with several air raids”.

But some other sources made no mention of the unborn child. For example, 7al reported that “a woman and her son were killed”, according to Mahmoud Adam, a spokesman for the civil defence in Damascus.

@SyriaRevolutin published an image of a little girl, ‘Zeinab’, while Halab Today said that one child had been killed in an artillery attack.

Additionally, on November 1st, LCCSY reported the death of six-year-old Alaa Suleik, and said that he had died after sustaining an injury “several days ago in shelling of Douma” – though it’s unclear whether he was wounded in this particular strike on October 27th.

Sources say there was much material damage to public roads.

The local time of the incident is unknown.

  • Ibtissam al Mahbani Adult female pregnant killed
  • Zeinab Child female killed

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    2 – 4
  • (1–2 children1 woman)
  • Civilians reported injured
    2
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (17) [ collapse]

Media
from sources (1) [ collapse]

  • This media contains graphic content. Click to unblur.

    Zeinab, allegedly killed in a raid on Douma by Russian and Syrian regime forces, Oct 28th (via SyriaRevolutin)

Russian Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Russian Armed Forces
  • Russian Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Original strike reports

Russian Armed Forces

On 20th October 2016, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation reported on the decisions made aimed towards stabilising the situation in Aleppo.

""Today, strikes by the Russian Aerospace Forces and the Syrian Air Force are finished at 10:00 (MSK) in the area of Aleppo. Early termination of the airstrikes is essential for holding a “humanitarian pause” on October 20, 2016”, said General of the Army Sergei Shoigu. According to him, it will allow to guarantee security of civilians leaving the city through 6 humanitarian corridors and to prepare casualty and medical evacuation from the eastern part of Aleppo.
“We apply to the leadership of countries influencing on armed formations active in the eastern part of Aleppo with a proposal to convince their leaders to stop warfare and leave the city,” stated the Minister of Defence.
According to General of the Army Sergei Shoigu, by the start of the “humanitarian pause” the Syrian troops will have been withdrawn to the distance safe for insurgents to leave the city with weapons through two special corridors: one – along the Kastello road, second – in the area of Suk al-Hai market."

Syrian Regime Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Syrian Regime Armed Forces
  • Syrian Regime Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    2 – 4
  • (1–2 children1 woman)
  • Civilians reported injured
    2
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (17) [ collapse]