Up to 17 civilians including six children died in an airstrike on the al Oummal neighbourhood, Deir Ezzor, according to local media – though sources were conflicted as to whether this was the work of Russia or the Assad regime.
Deir Ezzor 24 was among a number of sources blaming the regime, reporting that “five civilians were killed and others injured when an air force plane of the Assad forces attacked the al Oummal neighborhood in Deir Al-Zour on Tuesday afternoon [Jan 17th]. The bombing targeted civilian houses inside the neighborhood, which resulted in the rise of five martyrs, including two children and three men”.
However @MasarPressNet and @HalabTodayTV blamed Russia. Multiple sources put the death toll at 10 non-combatants.
The highest death toll was given by the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights (who didn’t identify the culprit) at 17 civilians, including six children and four women”.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (2)
- Heba Mahmoud al-Turki Adult female Euphrates Post blamed the regime killed
- Son of Heba Mahmoud al-Turki Child male Euphrates Post blamed the regime injured
Family members (4)
- Ihsan Marwan Al Khalaf al Hussein Child killed
- Amran Marwan Al Khalaf al Hussein Child killed
- Shahad Marwan al Khalaf al Hussein Child killed
- Marwan Khalaf al-Hussein Child female killed