Between three and 10 civilians, including two to three women and three to five children, were killed and at least 12 others were injured in alleged Russian or Assad regime airstrikes against the neighborhood of Al Sadd street in Dara’a, according to sources on the ground.
Most of the victims of the airstrikes were from the same family. At the time that it was reported that seven civilians were killed, Syria News Desk pointed out that the civil defense teams were still searching through the rubble for more survivors or victims.
The majority of local sources, including Step News Agency and the Local Coordination Committees of Syria, reported that Russia was responsible for carrying out the airstrikes against Al Sadd street.
However, conflicting reports by @ibraheem890 and All4Syria blamed regime planes for launching the airstrikes.
Other sources, including Sky Arabic, only identified that Russian and regime planes carried out airstrikes in Dara’a without specifically reporting which had struck Al Sadd.
According to @Omar_Madaniah, the airstrikes were a revenge attack in response to a recent loss by regime forces in Dara’a and were part of an accelerated bombardment that had not been seen at such a level since early 2016.
Multiple sources reported that Al Sadd was under the control of rebels at the time and residential buildings were struck by the raids. Following the attack, local officials in Dara’a announced that they would close schools due to safety concerns.
The incident occured at approximately 12:00 am local time.
The victims were named as:
Family members (9)
- Fatima Al Masri Adult female Mother of Mohammed Wassim Abdel Rahman killed
- Mohammed Wassim Abdel Rahman Child male Son of Fatima Al Masri killed
- Zayed Ibraheem Raja Al Masri Adult male killed
- Mohammad Zayed Ibraheem Raja Al Masri Adult male killed
- Saja Waseem Abdul Rahman Child female killed
- Lama Waseem Abdul Rahman Child female killed
- Alma Waseem Abdul Rahman Child female killed
- Khawla Ali al-Masalmeh Adult female Mother of Malak Shaker killed
- Malak Shaker Hazza al-Masalama Child female Daughter of Khawla Ali al-Masalmeh killed
- Narouz al-Haji Adult female killed