Civilian Casualties

Civilian Casualties

Incident Code

RS2017

Incident date

March 23, 2017

Location

معرة النعمان, Ma'arat Al Nu'man, Idlib, Syria

Geolocation

35.6477913, 36.6591881 Note: The accuracy of this location is to City level. Continue to map

Geolocation accuracy

City

Airwars assessment

Up to two civilians were killed and as many as seven more were wounded following airstrikes that struck the town of Ma’arat al-Nu’man, Idlib, local sources reported – though it was unclear whether Russia or the Syrian regime were to blame.

Sources said that between one and two civilians were killed in the strikes. Two civilian male victims (brothers) were identified by name by the Facebook account Shuhada’ Al Tuma.

Smart News Agency, who pointed to Russia as the culprit – as did most sources – cited a civil defence officer named Abdul Razzak, who reported that two civilians were killed and seven were wounded.

Baladi News, who pointed to the Syrian regime as the culprit, said that cluster bombs had been used in the attack, causing several civilian casualties and wounded.

The local time of the incident is unknown.

The victims were named as:

Family members (2)

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    2
  • (2 men)
  • Civilians reported injured
    2–7
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (11) [ collapse]

Media
from sources (2) [ collapse]

  • The brothers Mohammed Ibn Abdulrahman To’ma and Omar Abdel Rahman To’ma (depicted here and below) reportedly died in the contested airstrikes that targeted Maarat al-Nu'man, Idlib, on March 23rd 2017 (via Shuhada’ Al Tuma)
  • The brothers Mohammed Ibn Abdulrahman To’ma and Omar Abdel Rahman To’ma (depicted here and below) reportedly died in the contested airstrikes that targeted Maarat al-Nu'man, Idlib, on March 23rd 2017 (via Shuhada’ Al Tuma)

Russian Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Russian Armed Forces
  • Russian Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Original strike reports

Russian Armed Forces

Russia has not reported any strikes between March 1st - 31st 2017.

Syrian Regime Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Syrian Regime Armed Forces
  • Syrian Regime Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    2
  • (2 men)
  • Civilians reported injured
    2–7
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (11) [ collapse]