Eight to 13 civilians including three women and three children were reported killed – and dozens injured – in an airstrike on Kafr Hamra according to multiple sources. Reports were conflicted as to whether the attack was the work of Russia or the Assad regime.
The Shaam News Network said Russian forces were responsible and had pounded the city at midnight. It reported that dozens of wounded non-combatants were recovered from the rubble by the White Helmets, and that bodies were trapped under the walls and roofs of the destroyed houses while fires broke out in the town. The Violations Documentation Centre named nine civilians it said were killed as a result of Russian shelling.
But according to the Syrian Network for Human Rights the regime was responsible for the raid. It put the death toll at five.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (5)
- Maroush Abdo al-Mahmoud Adult female killed
- Samirah Abdo al-Mahmoud Adult female killed
- Abduljalil al-Mahmoud Child male killed
- Hala al-Mahmoud Child female killed
- Yaser Yaser al-Mahmoud Child male killed
- Haloum al-Aas Adult male killed
- Sabah Sehreep Adult female killed
- Mohammad Sami Adult male Was initially listed, though his name was later removed. killed
Sources (5) [ collapse]
Reports of the incident mention the village of Kafr Hamra (كفر حمرة), for which the generic coordinates are: 36.252649, 37.079115. Due to limited satellite imagery and information available to Airwars, we were unable to verify the location further.
Original strike reports
Russia has published no known record of its strikes in Syria between December 4th-8th.