Civilian Casualties

Civilian Casualties

Incident Code

RS266

Incident date

December 12, 2015

Location

منبج, Manbij, Aleppo, Syria

Geolocation

36.52815, 37.95495 Note: The accuracy of this location is to City level. Continue to map

Geolocation accuracy

City

Airwars assessment

Between 13 and 33 civilians, including three women and nine children, were killed and between 30 and 60 injured in airstrikes on Daesh-occupied Mabij, according to multiple sources – though reports were conflicted as to whether the attack was the work of Russia or the Assad regime.

The IS news agency Al A’maq reported that five non-combatants died and more than 30 were wounded in eight strikes – but they did not state who was responsible.

The Shaam News Network referenced the Al A’maq report but added that activists stressed that the number of dead was 15 people, pointing out that the city was full of ambulances transporting those killed and injured. They said Russia was responsible for the raids.

According to Alaan TV, there were a series of Russian raids on several neighbourhoods in the Manbij. They referenced the official page of ‘Manbej News’ on Facebook which stated that three members of Dash were killed in a raid near the Al Amal Hospital in the city centre and added that although Russian aircraft are bombing areas under Daesh control they are only target civilians.

A media activist named Ghassan told the station that 33 civilians, including 15 children and three women, were killed and more than 60 wounded in Russian strikes targeting Al Jazeera road, the Al Sarab neighbourhood and Shoueihna road near Al Amal hospital, in addition to the area surrounding the Shari court (previously Hnaidal school), which belongs to Dash. He stressed that there were still victims stuck under the rubble.

He added that after the raids citizens were in a state of fear and panic, prompting some “families” to leave the city, but Daesh had arrested a number of people from these families after accusing the civilians who were trying to flee of creating confusion and encouraging others to leave Manbij. He added the citizens of the city had demonstrated against the presence of Daesh in recent months and “arbitrary harassment of citizens and control of their affairs”.

But the Syrian Network for Human Rights blamed shelling by the Assad regime death toll, which they put at 13, including eight children and three women.

17 victims were listed by the Violations Documentation Centre.  Six Unidentified male children were also listed.

 

The local time of the incident is unknown.

The victims were named as:

Family members (2)

  • Daughter of Seif Eddin Wiam 1 Child female Named by the VDC killed
  • Daughter of Seif Eddin Wiam 2 Child female Named by the VDC killed

Family members (3)

  • Shayer family Adult female Named by the VDC killed
  • Shayer family Adult female Named by the VDC killed
  • Shayer family Adult female Named by the VDC killed
  • Basel Deebo al-Hosho Adult male Named by the VDC. killed
  • Saif Eddin al-Dado Adult male Named by the VDC. killed
  • Ibraheem al-Kassam Adult male Named by the VDC killed
  • Mohammad Othman al-Hameed Adult male Named by the VDC killed
  • Ibraheem Ahmad al-Saeid Adult male Named by the VDC killed
  • Ali Haj Awad Child male Named by the VDC killed

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    13 – 33
  • (9 children3 women5 men)
  • Civilians reported injured
    30–60
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (12) [ collapse]

Media
from sources (2) [ collapse]

  • Aftermath of alleged Russian airstrike on Manbij, December 12th. (via, Alaan TV)

Russian Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Russian Armed Forces
  • Russian Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Original strike reports

Russian Armed Forces

Russian position: Russia is not known to have publicly released any information relating to its airstrikes in Syria between December 9th and December 14th 2015.

Syrian Regime Armed Forces Assessment:

  • Suspected belligerent
    Syrian Regime Armed Forces
  • Syrian Regime Armed Forces position on incident
    Not yet assessed

Summary

  • Civilian harm reported
    Yes
  • Civilians reported killed
    13 – 33
  • (9 children3 women5 men)
  • Civilians reported injured
    30–60
  • Airwars civilian harm grading
    Contested
    Competing claims of responsibility e.g. multiple belligerents, or casualties also attributed to ground forces.
  • Suspected attackers
    Russian Armed Forces, Syrian Regime Armed Forces

Sources (12) [ collapse]