Between 14 and 20 civilians, including three women and two children, were killed and between two and 12 injured in airstrikes on Al Atarib, according to multiple sources – though reports were conflicted as to whether the attack was the work of Russia or the Assad regime.
The Shaam News Network initially reported that four non-combatants, including one child and one woman died and several were wounded when Russian warplanes allegedly carried out three raids on Al Atarib, completely destroying five houses and three shops. But a subsequent report put the death toll at at least 10, with “many wounded“, adding that some civilians were still stuck under the rubble. Both of these sources stated that Russian warplanes were responsible for the attacks.
The Union of Hama Rebels listed 14 non-combatants killed, while the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll lower at three with no less than 12 wounded.
The White Helmets also listed 14 killed but did not state who the planes belonged to – neither did Halab News Network, who posted a video showing the aftermath of the attack, referring only to “bombing by warplanes“.
But the Syrian Network for Human Rights produced two reports which said that Assad regime was responsible. The initial report put the number killed at four, including one woman and one child, but a second report said that the death toll had risen to 14, including one women and two children.
16 victims were named by the Violations Documentation Centre.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (3)
- Abdulla Kashto Adult male killed
- Adnan Kashto Adult male listed under Taibet Al Imam but in notes it says he was displaced from there but was killed in Atareb. killed
- Mwafaq Kashto Adult male listed under Taibet Al Imam but in notes it says he was displaced from there but was killed in Atareb. killed
Family members (5)
- Mohammad Eid al-Shoun Adult male killed
- Saeid al-Shoun Adult male killed
- Abdul Razak al-Shoun Adult male killed
- Khaled Saeid al-Shoun Adult male killed
- Nour Udai al-Shoun Child female killed
- Omar Abdulla Aaroub Adult male killed
- Hasan Mohammad Saeed Adult male killed
- Miriam Hantash Adult female killed
- Hanaa Jwaid Adult female killed
- Abdul Kader Abdul Wahab Abyan Child male killed
- Abdulla Kadro Adult male killed
- Nour al-Badawi Adult female killed
- Hassan Omar Rashid Age unknown Named by the White Helmets. killed
- Abdullah Al Kaddour Age unknown male Named by the White Helmets. killed
- Abdul Razak Razzouk from Tibat Al Imam Age unknown male Named by the White Helmets.
- Mohammad al-Arour Adult male listed under Orme but in notes it says he was killed in Atareb. killed
Sources (27) [ collapse]
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
Russia is not known to have publicly released any information relating to its airstrikes in Syria between December 9th and December 14th 2015.