Ten civilians including one child and two women were killed in alleged Russian airstrikes on Ma’adan, according to local sources.
Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently reported that Russian airstrikes targeted the following areas of the town: “near Ma’adan garage; near Tah Kreiban school; near Al Farouq school [previously al Bourtoukala]“.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, six people, including a man and a woman, were killed “when warplanes bombed areas in the town of Ma’adan. The Observatory added that the death toll was expected to rise “because there is information about the death of 2 other citizen women, from one family.” It did not identify to whom the warplanes belonged.
In a contradictory initial online report, the Syrian Network for Human Rights in a headline stated “Massacre due to regime forces shelling on Ma’adan town in Raqqa governorate on February 1“. However, in the body of the post, SN4HR said at least five civilians including one child were killed when “suspected Russian warplanes” launched missiles on Ma’adan.
A subsequent report published by SN4HR explicitly alleged that Russian warplanes dropped cluster munitions in Ma’adan, killing “10 individuals including a child and two women.”
Eight victims were initially identified by Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently, including 4 that were also listed by the Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies as killed by “indiscriminate” Russian aerial shelling in Ma’adan. Those initially listed by RBSS:
The local time of the incident is unknown.
- Ahmad al Nasser Age unknown male Listed by RBSS killed
- Jihad Al Nasser Age unknown male Listed by RBSS killed
- Ahmad Kamal Age unknown male Listed by RBSS killed
- The wife of Hussein Al Tared Adult female Listed by RBSS killed
- Mayzar al Shawish Adult female Listed by RBSS killed
- The mother of Mayzar al Shawish Adult female Listed by RBSS killed
- The son of Mayzar al Shawish Age unknown male Listed by RBSS killed
- Mahmoud Al Hayd Adult male Listed by RBSS killed
- Al Haj Ibrahim Al Thaher 70 years old male Listed by RBSS killed
- Tarif Al Khalaf Al Harami Age unknown male reportedly died later “due to wounds sustained in the strike on the town a few days ago“ killed
Sources (13) [ collapse]
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
Russia has published no known record of strikes in Syria from February 1st – February 3rd.