Between two and four civilians including up to two children were killed in airstrikes on Palmyra, according to local sources – though reports are conflicted as to whether this was the work of Russia or the Assad regime.
The Violations Documentation Center said that two adult male non-combatants died as a result of Russia shelling. In a news roundup, the Shaam News Network reported Russian raids on Palmyra, leading to the death of two civilians. Baladi News Network also put the death toll at two, while Halab Today said that two children died. Both sources blamed Russia.
According to the Palmyra Coordination Committee, “violent raids by Russian occupation planes” led to the death of “two young men in al A’bbara area“. It said they were “the sons of Hamdoush al Qassem [al Shabrak].”
Palmyra News Network published a video which it said showed “the house of Akram al Shabrak, in the city of Palmyra, after it was bombed by Russian occupation planes” – though it is unclear if this was where the two men died.
However, according to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, the regime was responsible. In an initial report it said two children died – but this could be referring to a separate incident on the same day and location, given that the victims are children and the VDC names two adults.
Another SN4HR report named Mrs. Aisha Al Khaled as a victim and said that she died from injuries sustained in the attack.
Two victims were named by the Violations Documentation Center.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Sources (8) [ collapse]
from sources (2) [ collapse]
Russian Military Assessment:
Original strike reports
From February 4th – February 11th, Russia reported: “In the course of the last week, February 4-11, aircraft of the Russian aviation group in the Syrian Arab Republic have performed 510 combat sorties engaging 1,888 terrorists’ objects in the provinces of Aleppo, Latakia, Hama, Deir ez-Zor, Daraa, Homs, Hasakah and Raqqah.”