Between 15 and 23 civilians died and up to 132 were injured in airstrikes on Abu al Duhur, according to local sources – though reports are conflicted as to whether Russia or the Assad regime were responsible. There were claims of a ‘double tap’ strike – with aircraft returning to attack rescuers.
In a series of Tweets, AEJKhalil reported that 20 civilians died when Russian warplanes allegedly carried out airstrikes “on a mini gas shop” in Abu al Duhur. Tweets included graphic images of charred bodies.
Videos posted by Khairo Al-Hamwi and Abu Al-Duhur also said Russia was responsible. According to Orient News, 17 civilians died in “three air strikes from warplanes, followed by barrel bombs from helicopters” – suggesting a possible joint Russia-regime action.
However, the Shaam Network reported that regime warplanes carried out several raids: “Activists said warplanes launched three air strikes targeted rocket houses the town center resulted in the ignition large fires and destruction solution, followed by the bombing of apartment buildings with explosive barrel bombs carried out by a helicopter on the same site.” The Syrian Network for Human Rights also blamed the regime, putting the death toll at at least 19 including three women.
AlAan TV too blamed the regime and reported: “The number of people killed in these raids has reached 15 dead and more than 132 wounded. We got these figures from the medical staff in the countryside of east Idlib. [Jet] fighter and two explosive barrels targeted the city center and the fuel station and a fire broke out. There are also unidentified bodies, and the injured and wounded were deformed and couldn’t be identified“.
The local time of the incident is unknown.
The victims were named as:
Family members (7)
- Mohammad Nawaf al-Jasem Adult male killed
- Ahmad Mohammad al-Jasem 27 years old male killed
- Hsain al-Jasem Adult male killed
- Mohammad al-Sagheer al-Jasem 47 years old male killed
- Ahmad Mohammad al-Sagheer al-Jasem 27 years old male killed
- Husam Mohammad al-Sagheer al-Jasem Adult male killed
- Hsain Mohammad al-Sagheer al-Jasem 15 years old male killed
- Mahmoud al Ali Age unknown male From Rasm al A’abed, Aleppo killed
- Faisal al Dannash Age unknown male From Baya’iat al Dannash, Aleppo killed
- Khaled al Ahmad Age unknown male From Umm Jreen, Aleppo killed
- Husam Mohammad al-Ali 18 years old male killed
Sources (15) [ collapse]
Russian Armed Forces Assessment:
Original strike reports
Russia has published no known record of strikes in Syria for March 1st to March 30th.