As many as 26 civilians were killed, including a family of six, in an alleged Coalition airstrike on Raqqah’s Al Tawsuya neighbourhood, according to local media. Despite initial uncertainty of the date, Amnesty reported that the strike occurred on the 8th October 2017.
In a private message to Airwars, RBSS said the victims died on October 6th. On October 14th, the Syrian Human Rights Committee also named Hamed Obeid Al-Nasser, Hamam Hamid Obaid Al-Nasser and Hamida Abdo Noufal as killed in Coalition bombing, though reporting that the they died on October 13th.
Despite this, on 8th October “At least 26 people, including at least 11 children and five women, were killed by an air strike which destroyed the building they were sheltering in.”
The owner of Qunaitir Building, Ali, told Amnesty International in a testimony that “The victims were all displaced residents who had been forced to flee their homes. They were all sheltering in the basement, but unfortunately it was not enough to protect them.”
He added to his testimony later that “Only the four kids died in this strike and that Aziza Obeida al-Nasser died a month earlier and he buried her in nearby garden. Aziza’s husband disappeared when he went back home to get stuff near Mafraq al-Jezra. One daughter, child, of Aziza survived.”
Seven members of the of Abu Ali al Bariachi family were also killed in the strike. The daughter survived but it is unclear where she went.
In their monthly civilian casualty reports, the US-led Coalition has indicated that the credibility of Amnesty’s civilian harm allegation is in the process of being assessed.
The incident occured at 5:00 pm local time.
The victims were named as:
Family members (7)
- Hamed Obeida al-Nasser 57 years old male (Abu Ala’) killed
- Hamida Abdo Naufel 50 years old female Hamed's wife killed
- Hammam 9 years old male Hamed and Hamida's son killed
- Ilaf 10 years old female child of of Aziza Obeida al-Nasser (Hamed’s sister) killed
- Rihana 6 years old female child of of Aziza Obeida al-Nasser (Hamed’s sister) killed
- Nawras 8 years old male child of of Aziza Obeida al-Nasser (Hamed’s sister) killed
- Mustafa 4 years old male child of of Aziza Obeida al-Nasser (Hamed’s sister) killed
Family members (6)
- Moh Jbein 45 years old male killed
- Shadia Jbein 42 years old female Moh's wife killed
- Boushra 15 years old female Moh and Shadia's child killed
- Bashar 17 years old male Moh and Shadia's child killed
- Abboud 11 years old male Moh and Shadia's child killed
- Ibrahim 10 years old male paralysed, Moh and Shadia's child injured
Family members (3)
- Abdelkhalaq al-Abqaa 48 years old male killed
- Adel Hakim 52 years old male Abdelkhalaq's brother killed
- al-Abded 46 years old male killed
Family members (3)
- Umm Zeid Adult female one of her sons was mentally disabled killed
- Umm Zeid son 12 years old male killed
- Umm Zeid son 6 years old male killed
Sources (5) [ collapse]
Initial reports of the incident mention the neighbourhood of Al Tawassiya (التوسعیة) in the city of Raqqa. The generic coordinates for this neighbourhood are: 35.9633318, 38.9806321. The incident likely occurred in the South East of Al Tawassiya (التوسعیة) area, as this is where the fighting was concentrated at the time. In a more recent Amnesty findings it was reported that Qunaitir Building was struck, Between 20/17/09/29 and 2017/10/10 only some damage can be seen to the building. By 2017/10/05 to 2017/10/10 clear damage can be seen.
US-led Coalition Assessment:
Civilian casualty statements
Jun 28, 2018
The report contains insufficient information of the time, location and details to assess its credibility
Original strike reports
Awaiting exact date